Sunday, February 11, 2007

California Fitness @ Bugis

Went to Bugis' California Fitness after makan session at The Prata Shop. The salesman told me that my membership is expiring soon and he would like to recommend me one-in-a-lifetime membership. I told him that I'll look for him after my workout, though secretly, I already knew I had a great deal. You see, after paying almost S$3k for a 5-year membership at all clubs, I am entitled to a special deal of S$59/- (before GST) every year subsequently. Isn't that cool? Nevertheless, I'm keen to find out if there's a better deal. : )

Did not run today due to a small blister on my 4th toe of my right foot. Damn. I was progressing quite ok since I started to go to gym 4 weeks ago. In fact, I was able to devote quite a bit of time everyday, twice a day to workout and/or run in the gym (though I would only run 5 times a week for an hour each time). Call me crazy or what. So, I decided to do some power strength training instead of the usual endurance strength training. For power strength training, I would do 8 counts of 3 sets, where the weight was heavier than if I did endurance strength training, which I would do 20 counts of 3 sets. By right, the rest in between the sets should be controlled and limited but most of the time, I was too tired to really follow.

After my workout, quickly bathed and went down to the reception area. Found the salesman who had taken my membership card. Then he explained to me the new terms, condition and pricing. Wow! For the new deal, I had to pay S$2,488/- for a life-time membership. I quickly told him that I had to go home to find my contract before I decided. He said this S$2,488/- offer is only valid for the day and it would no longer be valid if I decided subsequently. I thanked him for his thoughtfulness and almost dashed out of the gym.

Luckily for me, I kept a copy of the contract, although the wordings "S$59/- per year" had faded substantially since it was written 5 years ago on carbon copy paper. Well, if I were to sign up the new deal, it would take me 42 years to breakeven! That will mean I have to live until age 79 years old and beyond in order to really enjoy the lifetime membership! My goodness... Who knows what will happen to me in 10 years time, or in another 5 years?!? Thankfully I was very sensible where money is concern. :p I told myself I must bring a long my contract this week to show them my real deal, and at the same time, to renew it. Phew...

No comments: