Monday, April 23, 2012

Jeju Ultramarathon 2012

Race Registration
I heard about the Jeju Ultramarathon (which was also the IAU 100km Asian Challenge) from a friend's post in Facebook.  And within the next few days, there were more and more sharing in the Facebook about the race.  What made it so attractive was the free race registration for overseas participants.  On top of that, international runners were given a free night stay on the eve of the race, free event tee and a free day-trip to some of Jeju's attractions on Sunday, the day after the completion of the shorter distances like 50km road, 50 miles trail and 100km road.  I took an immediate interest as the race offered a 200km road ultramarathon option!  I thought it would be very cool (weather wise) to do a 200km road race in Jeju, South Korea due to the nice weather at the time of the year - April. [Point to note: Due to a smaller budget, it was made known to us that there was no free event tee or free day-trip on 8 Apr.]


The website did not contain much info about the race though I managed to find out the race route for the different category.  And if there were info, they were mostly in Korean.  :(  But I managed to deduce that all races would start at the same point somewhere quite near the airport.  For the 50km, it would be about 1/4 round the island.  For the 100km, they would continue another 50km round the island.  For the 50 mile trail run, runners would cut across the island, up and down the Hallasan Mountain - a shield volcano and also the highest mountain in South Korea, to end at the same point as the 100km runners.  And for the 200km, it was simply one round of Jeju Island.  :)  It seemed cool but the elevation did show the runners having to go over a "peak" although those running the trail had to overcome 2 peaks!

The Jeju Ultramarathon Route and Elevation

I followed the instructions given and email to the race organiser and got a reply soon.  So I was IN the race.  I found making traveling plans to Jeju a little more difficult as there was no direct flight.  I had to fly into Incheon International Airport in Seoul, before taking a train or bus to Gimpo Airport for the flight to Jeju.  A bus trip to Gimpo would cost 7,000 Won (if you bought the bus ticket at the counter inside the airport) or 5,000 Won (if you pay on board the bus outside the airport) - not sure why though, while a non-express train would cost 3,050 Won (using their T-Money Card - something like our EZ Link Card) - it would cost more than 4,000 Won using cash).  Bus ride would take about 45~60mins and train ride would take about 33~40mins.  The flight to Jeju took about an hour.  A check on Google Weather showed that the temperature would be around 6~8 Degree Celsius though past years' weather were recorded between 16~18 Degree Celsius.  I enjoyed the cool weather though I began to realise that Jeju was a little too windy for my liking.

The night prior to the race, there was a briefing conducted for the runners.  Runners would be allowed to deposit their own special drink from the 15km mark and every 5km (or was it 10km?) thereafter.  (Runners were told that the special drink would be disposed of so we should not put anything valuable).  Aid stations would be available at every 5km interval.  For the 50km and 100km runners, runners could deposit their drop bag containing their warm clothes at the finishing while waiting for transport back to the hotel while for the 200km runners, they could deposit a drop bag containing change of clothes/shoes at the 100km mid point with their bag being brought to the start/finishing point.  Hot noodle soup would also be made available at the 100km mark for all 50 miler, 100km and 200km runners.

Race Packet Collection and Race Briefing

The Race Day
I woke up early for breakfast at 4.30am at the host hotel.  I had a small bowl of porridge, 2 slices of bread, a sunny side up and 2 glasses of orange.  Then I went up to pack my drop bag - hydration bag,  shoes, socks, gloves, jacket, cap, headlamp, 3 cans of Milo, 2 packets of Vespa, a short-sleeved tee and a long-sleeved tee.  It was always better to overpack, then to underpack.  Then I changed into my running gear (long-sleeved over short-sleeved, long tights, gloves, hydration bag and cap) and went down to assemble at the hotel lobby.  After handed over my drop bag, I went outside the hotel to check out the weather.  It was cooling but not that cold.  More importantly, it was not windy.  I went back into the hotel lobby to wait for further instructions.  More and more runners came down to deposit their drop bags.  I saw BrokenRunner, Vincent, Josephine and Joyce.  Everyone was excited, except probably me.  I was as nervous as usual.  At about 5.30am, the race organisers led us to the starting point which was about 10mins walk from the host hotel.

 Race Day Morning and Race Start

At 6.00am sharp, the organiser flagged us off.  I reckoned there were probably about 200~300 runners.  I started slow as usual.  But even before 5km, I was feeling warm.  I started looking out for toilet to change.  There were plenty of toilets in South Korea, so it wasn't difficult for me to find one.  I dashed into the toilet and found a man making his way into one of the ladies cubicle as well!  Hmmmm.  I quickly went into one of the cubicle, changed and got out.  After running for a few steps, I noticed my hydration bag was not sitting nicely where it should be.  I decided to stop and throw out everything to pack nicely.  It was a good decision as I was able to continue running without feeling anything brushing against my back.  As this is a road ultramarathon, we were essentially running next to the road.  On sections where there were pavement, I would run on pavement instead.  Soon, I reached the first water station at 10km mark.  As I had enough water, I didn't refill my bottle.  Instead, I took a cup of water before I continued my journey.

The sky was getting brighter and I could see the sea along certain section of the route.  Soon, the sun came out but the weather was still very cooling at that time of the year.  I didn't really notice the marker on the road as I could see the runners in front which was not too far away.  This was not a wise decision so I reminded myself to look out for the signs whenever I crossed any junctions.  Eventually, I saw the signs and they looked exactly like what the organiser said they would look like!  An arrow, followed by the word UM.  The next water station at 15km came soon after, and so did the next one.  At one of the water stations, they gave out mini tomatoes and they tasted so sweet and nice!  As I wasn't sure if I could make the 200km cut-off at 34 hours, there was a cut-off at 50km (7 hours), 100km (15 hours), 150km (24 hours), I decided to just concentrate on covering as far as I could and not to waste time taking pictures along the way.  I didn't check on my watch.  After passing the 45km mark, I saw someone very familiar.  Someone in pink top!

I didn't attempt to give chase but continued my same pace.  Eventually, I managed to catch up with BrokenRunner in her pink top because she stopped to take photos.  Brokie was surprised to see me.  I helped her took a picture before I continue and eventually, reached the 50km check-point at 12.12pm (6hrs 12mins of running).  Brokie also finished her race shortly after and I asked if she could help me brought back my camera and extra clothing which were weighing me down.  She was concerned if I may need my extra clothing later so I assured her that I had another long sleeved and jacket with me at the 100km check-point.  Brokie agreed and I dashed off to a corner inside a building to change.  Then I handed over my stuff before continuing my next 50km.  My name aim was to reach the 90km mark within 12 hours.  I reckoned that if I could do that, I could make it for the 150km and 200km cut-off.

I slowed down considerably after the 50km check-point.  I reached the 55km just before 7 hours (I should have completed 60km instead, using the Two Oceans Marathon 56km in 2010 that I completed in 6hrs 53mins 37secs which had a much tougher terrain).  It didn't help when the afternoon sun began to work harder. I began walking more even though it was mostly flat.  I just didn't have the wind or desire to run.  :(  Then, more and more runners overtook me.  But after a short while, I overtook them.  So it became something like a game of passing runners and being passed by them later.  There was also a roving vehicle who stopped at the road side to ask runners if they needed anything.  Not sure if that was official but I saw they had Coke!  I asked for 1/2 a cup, drank, thanked them and continued.  At around 70~75km, I ran past the locality where they shot "大长今" (I learnt that from Brokie the day before the race while visiting Jeju)!

That was not the only tourist attraction.  There was a temple further up at the 85km mark with many tourists.  While most runners may curse at the climb up towards the temple up the hill, I enjoyed it.  During this section, I ran 50 steps and walked 50 steps continuously till I reached the top, and I had no guilt walking.  But I failed in my attempt to cover 90km within the 12 hours.  Luckily, I managed to sustain this pace through to the 95km mark, while running through a small town with eateries, shops and cherry blossom on both side of the road.  The sky was also getting darker.  It was almost 8pm (almost 14 hours) and I estimated I would reach between 8.30~8.45pm, just before the 15 hours cut-off limit.  More and more runners passed me on the "home stretch" towards the end-point of the 100km race, which was at the World Cup Stadium.  I eventually reached the 100km check-point at 8.33pm (14hrs 33mins of running).  Unfortunately, the check-point is kind of "choatic" (not sure if it was the right word).  The volunteers were trying to find the name of the 100km finishers who came in just before me.  After waiting for about 2 minutes, when they eventually came to me, I told them that I won't be continuing.  Instead, I went into the tend to have a bowl of hot soup noddle, where I met Melvin who had just completed his 50 mile trail run. We shared our stories before catching the bus back to the hotel.

What I Learnt From Jeju Ultramarathon
The Jeju Ultramarathon was a great experience for me even though I only managed 100km instead of 200km.  I learnt that it was much easier to push myself when I was running along a route with thousands of other runners, with supporters cheering throughout the race.  This was probably the reason why I was able to complete the Comrades Marathon (90km) within the 12-hour cut-off time with minutes to spare and not able to achieve my aim of reaching the 90km mark within 12 hours in Jeju.  Perhaps next year, I would bring along my ipod and listen to music from live concert with thousands of screaming fans in the background.  :)

The other thing I learnt was that it was definitely easier to run a route with undulating terrain as compared to one that was almost flat as a pancake.  Okie, Comrades Marathon was definitely not an easy race.  Its 5 hills were even more undulating than the famous Boston Marathon.  But when running in an undulating terrain spread along the entire route, it gave me the chance to do power walk or run at quite a regular interval.  In Jeju Ultramarathon, the terrain was mostly flat, with a noticeable climb towards the 85km mark.  Hence I was using the same muscles most of the time.  No wonder I got slower and slower - EXCUSE!  :p

Overall, it was a very well organised race.  With water and food provided at every 5km distance, carrying a 500ml water bottle would suffice.  (Though I would prefer to have the info on the special drink arrangement earlier to prepare rather than learning about it during the race brief, at least for me.)  However, as foreign runners might not get used to the type of local food or fruits provided, I would recommend packing your own food, fruits or gel.  Runners should also make use of the water points where special drinks were allowed, instead of carrying with you during the run.  During any ultramarathon, especially for slower runners like myself, it was important to run with as light a load as possible.  It would also be very useful if the race organiser could consider a further drop bag at the 150km water station for those running the 200km event.  Would I try this again next year?  Definitely.  Having ran in this year's race and after analyzing my race performance, I know how to better prepare myself for the race.

Availability of Race Info: 8/10 (Give organiser a few days to reply to your query via email).
Quality of Aid Station: 9/10 (Aid stations at every 5km was fantastic. However, we may not get used to their food provided. Variety is also limited.)
Drop Bag (Special Drink): 10/10 (Such practices is rarely provided at marathons and ultramarathons but the information could be given earlier for planning).
Drop Bag (Others):  5/10 (There was only 1 drop bag for special gear for the 200km runners and none for the 100km runners. It would be good to cater another drop bag at the 50km and 150km marks where 100km and 200km runners could put their essential items (e.g. lights, extra batteries.)  Otherwise, runners would have to have these items with them right from the start of race or to till the end of race.)
Others: 5.5/10 (1) There should be different time-keeper to look out for the 50 miles, 100km and 200km runners.  Otherwise, the 200km runners would be wasting unnecessary time to be checked-in before continuing their race.  Especially important for back-of-the-pack runners where every seconds count. (2) There were photographers stationed at some part of the race to capture our race photos, which was nice.
Race Ratings: 7.5/10.

1 comment:

test said...

something to add to my bucketlist :)