Friday, April 13, 2012

2XU Compression Run 2012

This was my first local race in 2012.  I wanted to do 6 local races which I had never run before previously.  Karen was supposed to run the 10km while I registered for the 15km.  But something cropped up last minute and I went for the race on my own although I know of many other runner friends who had also signed up for the run.  By the time I reached the start point along Nicoll Highway at around 6.45am, I could see from the overhead bridge that thousands of runners had already lined up and ready to race!  Since I did not have any bag deposit, I went straight to join in the queue at the back in the 2nd wave starting group.  The race did not start on time, with the first wave being flagged off at 7.15am instead of 7.00am and the second wave being flagged off at 7.30am instead of 7.15am.

Forming up of 1st Wave, Baggage Deposit & Info Counter

The second wave was flagged off by Mr Vivian Balakrishnan, the event's guest-of-honour.  Prior to the second wave's flag-off, a cheque for S$20,000 was presented to the Singapore Cancer Society (I think).  As the run was my last "long" run prior to the Jeju Ultramarathon the next weekend, I decided to run it steady and slow, and take photos at all the km markers.  :)

 Runners from 1st Wave & Flagging Off for 2nd Wave

The route brought us to the junction near Suntec Convention Centre before making a u-turn.  We then ran back the whole stretch of Nicoll Highway till Mountbatten Road (about 3.5km).  Along the way, I saw Roonz and TheLonelyRunner zooming past me on the other side of the road in the opposite direction!  They were so fast that I didn't even have time to snap their pictures!  At the end of the Nicoll Highway junction and Mountbatten Road, there was a water point and I happily refilled my 2nd cup of water, drank it, and threw away!  "I wasn't supposed to do that", I reminded myself to re-use my cup before continuing my run.

 1Km Marker, 2Km Marker, 3Km Marker & Aid Station

The route into the stadium was a short one but there were lots of shades to shield us from the hot sun.  We then had to make a 2nd u-turn back to Mountbatten Road and into Nicoll Highway.  This brought us past the 4km and 5km markers.  After the 5km marker, the 2nd water point appeared and I refilled my cup twice.  After I passed the 6km marker onto the Merdeka Bridge, there was little shade along this stretch of road and I didn't enjoy one bit.  At the 7km marker, we made a left turn into the Nicoll Highway MRT Station where we had formed up earlier for the race start.  I looked at my watch and knew I was jogging at a pretty slow pace although my legs were feeling somewhat lethargic.  :p

 4Km to 7Km Markers

After 50m past the 7km marker, we made another right turn before a 3rd u-turn led us into the Republic Avenue towards the old 火城's (Lavendar MRT Station's) direction.  Just before we reached Lavendar MRT Station, we ran past the 8km marker, another water station and 9km marker.  A short distance after the 9km marker, those who were running the 10km race turned right back to the end point while the rest of us continued till we almost reached the entrance of the People's Association along Kallang Road.  This was also the 10km marker as well as the 4th u-turn point of the route!  :(  We ran back the bridge and onto the park leading to Kallang Riverside Park.  This stretch was shady, cooling with nice scenery of the Kallang River.  I refilled my cup at the water station just before the 11km marker.

Towards Lavendar MRT Station @ 9Km Marker

 U-Turn Point @ 10Km and Scenic Route from 11Km

I didn't want to pick up my pace as that was the most scenic stretch of the entire route and I wanted to enjoy myself before we hit the F1 Track at around the 12.5km.  I saw 2 runners taking pictures of one another and offered to help them take a picture.  In return, I requested if one of them could help me take a picture of me with her friend in it. It was always nice to have someone else besides you in photos.  :)  I was glad that they were sporty to oblige my request.  Just after the 13km marker near the Singapore Flyer was the last water station.  I refilled my cup for the last time before picking up my pace for the last 2kms.

Photo with a stranger @ 12Km & Singapore Flyer @ 13km

The Final Stretch and Finishing Line!

I crossed the finishing line at around 9.23am, and according to the official result, I completed the race with a Gun Time of 2hrs 8mins 3secs and a Nett Time of 1hr 49mins 18secs to rank 521 among 962 finishers!  All finishers were then given a gender specific medal as well as banana and water.  Further up, another set of volunteers draped around an ice, cold finishing towel!  What a finale indeed.  :)  Overall, this was a very well organised race with sufficient water points placed at strategic points of the route.  Organiser, though, could have laid out the drink tables over a distance of 40m~50m, rather than next to each other.  This would help spread out the crowding of the runners at the water points.  The 4 x u-turn points in the 15km category were a big turn-off even for slower runners like me (fast runners might complain more as it might slow down their momentum).  Although some parts of the route were a little narrow, I wasn't affected by runners who were blocking my way.  Maybe I was too slow.  The gender specific finishing medal was unique and of high quality, and the finishing towel was literally an icing on a hot body.  Would I sign up for the race again?  Maybe, if the cost was not as expensive as S$48.00 (for early bird) and S$$60.00 (during normal period registration).  Race Ratings: 8.5/10.

Disclaimer: The baggage deposit service seemed orderly but as I did not make use of the service, I won't be able to advise if the deposit and retrieval process was prompt.  The same comment for the toilet facilities provided at the start/finish line.

 Finishing Medal, Event Tee & Towel

No comments: