Friday, July 22, 2011

Training with the F1 Runners

I decided to sign up for the 13-week TNF100 Singapore Training Sessions with the F1 Runners to prepare myself for the TNF100 Singapore race.  I received a confirmation email from the principal trainer, Lexxus, on 7 Jul and went for my training sessions on 19 Jul and 21 Jul.  :)


19 Jul (Tuesday)
The venue for the weekday training was at Diary Farm, which was just next to my workplace.  I arrived early to change and saw a few other runners wearing the familiar red color F1 Runners singlet.  They all looked pretty strong and fast.  I was worried as I was never a fast runner and wondered if I had made the wrong decision to join the training sessions.  At 6.20pm, I approached 2 of the lady runners (Karen and Lijun - I think).  They in turned intro me to other runners (Ben, Kerry - I think).  Ben offered his car space to put my belongings.  Lexxus and Jacky arrived shortly after and the runners were all commenting how similar they looked - twins but 30 years apart.  They were very right!  We were given instructions to run to the Bukit Timah Visitor Centre, while Lexxus and Jacky waited a while more for the other runners.  Unfortunately, we turned into the wrong trail and ended up back where we were at the Diary Farm carpark.  After a quick check that confirm the wrong route taken, we went off again but as the sky was getting dark, we were told to make our way back just before hitting the quarry.  We did another 1.2km loop around the Wallace Trail before gathering back at the shed next to the carpark.

And that was when the "fun" really began!  There were a total of 12 exercises, to be performed twice.  Jacky led us through each of the exercises, demonstrating how they were to be executed.  Luckily for the beginners, we were given some discounts, 1 set of the Combo A Exercises.  :p  During the execution of the 2nd exercise - the Bridge, my left calf cramped up badly that I had to stop.  I managed to continue for the rest of the exercises: Superman, Back Extension, Planks, Cobra Leg Raise, Spine Twist, Knees to Chest Head Lift, Groin Stretch, Leg Lunges, Standing Hamstring Stretch and Push UpJacky was playful and tried injecting some fun when leading us through the exercises, yet serious during the execution.  But to me, it was everything but fun!  After the end of the 1st set, I decided to accept the discount given and rest!  We chit chat for a while more after the rest of the runners completed their 2nd set and I also met two more F1 runners - Ronald and DoraKerry then gave the other new runner and me a lift to the bus stop after the training session ended.


There was nothing new about the exercises prescribed by Lexxus.  I read about these exercises in Runners' World, Running Times, and some running-related books.  However, there was a huge difference between doing them on your own and doing them with a group of friends.  While I lacked no discipline to do some of the exercises on my own, I would certainly skip those tougher one if I were not in a group.  I guess this is what group training is about.  I hoped for the remaining training sessions, I could pick up useful tips relating to trail running, building a stronger core for a more efficient running in the trails, as well as making more like-minded friends.  :)

21 Jul (Thursday)
I barely survived Tuesday's session but was looking forward to some hill training on Thursday as I love running uphill.  We did a short warm up before Lexxus led us to another section of the trail that I had not been before.  There were 3 sections of hill training to be done a total of 6 sets, excluding the familiarisation set!!!  Luckily, it was 6 sets in total and not 6 sets of all 3 sections that I feared.  Phew.  :p  Even then, by the end of the 6 sets, I was fully drenched with sweat.  Worse still, that was not the end of the training.  We had to do a sprint up the slope that led into Wallace Trail.  Jog back down.  Then sprint up again into Wallace Trail.  After coming out from the trail, we had to perform another 6 sets of sprint up the slope that led into Wallace Trail.  Needless to say, I was the last of the lot.  But I somewhat enjoyed the session as compared to Tuesday's session.

I hope I'm able to keep up with the remaining training sessions and now looking forward to Sat's session.  :)

No comments: