Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Still In A Daze

Woke up early on Monday, still trying to believe that I had actually completed the toughest marathon I ever ran in one piece - no injuries whatsoever. I read of many accounts of runners injuring themselves during the event. Most did so during the downhill portion of the race as they attempted to pick up the pace. The 2005 50th Anniversary DVD also contained videos of injuries sustained by the runners, so thank goodness I decided I should not watch the DVD prior to the race. Otherwise, I would be stunned by the difficult terrain and not turned up on Sunday. In fact, some of the injuries were so bad that you wonder if it was worthwhile running the race! I guess in a way, it was still worth it. No matter how fast or how slow. My whole experience of completing the race had not actually sank in yet. I was like still on a high or maybe "in a daze" would be a better phrase to describe. Maybe I should feel this way. Maybe I would wanna do this event again. :o Maybe because it was Pikes Peak. :s What was I thinking! It is Pikes Peak!!!

But I didn't have time to really think much about what had gone well for me or gone wrong. Maybe I'll do so when I get back to Singapore. I was just glad that I could now focus for my next event now that I didn't suffer from injuries and I could run. You see, I had also signed up for the Lean Horse 100 in Hot Springs, South Dakota, the following week after Pikes Peak. :p I quickly dropped the race director, Jerry Dunn, a short email to tell him of my itinerary and that I would be running the Lean Horse and unable to help out as volunteer. I guess I loved it absolutely when I could just take part in races weeks after weeks. :o I just wished we have more marathons and ultras in Singapore. But I doubt its possible since we were just a tiny, small country of about 707.1 km². I.e. we really don't have that places to run. Besides, I am one of those who dislike running the same place again and again. :) Although Pikes Peak may just change my thinking.

No comments: