Friday, August 22, 2008

Hot Springs, Here I Come!

I spent 2 days after Pikes Peak doing loads and loads of sight-seeing around Colorado Springs and Canon City, in Colorado. In all, managed to visit quite a number of interesting places like the Garden of the Gods, Royal Gorge Bridge, Seven Falls, Cave of the Winds, Cliff Dwellings etc. Also took the Royal Gorge Rail, a 24-mile journey through the 1,000 foot deep Royal Gorge, alongside the raging Arkansas River. Then I flew into Rapid City in South Dakota on Wednesday, visiting the Bear Country USA, Rushmore Cave and the Mount Rushmore National Memorialin the afternoon and evening. On Thursday, managed to squeeze in taking the 1880 Train Ride from Hill City to Keystone and back in the morning, and visiting Jewel Cave and Wind Cave in the afternoon. By end of the day, I was truly dead tired. Woke up much later on Friday since I only planned to drive around the small town and also to visit the Mammoth Site. After a quick lunch, I went to the Race HQ at Hot Springs Chamber Office to collect my race packet for this coming weekend's Lean Horse 100.


Saw the Race Director, Jerry Dunn at the Race HQ. He was much much older then I thought. We said hi and we had a short chat. After I collected my race packet, I went back to my car and took out 4 of my drop bags which were to be deposited with the organiser. I went back to the hall with the 4 drop bags. Then I sat down near the drop bag collection points. I checked and re-checked all my items in my 4 drop bags against the distance and cut-off time. Everything seemed to be in order. Quickly wrote my name and bib number on the 4 drop bags as well as the name of the aid stations where the drop bags were supposed to be deposited. Once that was done, I put the 4 drop bags in the different collection points and was ready for the race brief conducted at the auditorium opposite the hall.


At 3pm, Jerry was introduced on stage, who in turn introduced 2 gentlemen to address the audience. The first guy who talked was from the radio station - South Dakota Public Radio. His name was Jim Kent. Jim told us what his intention was: to interview a few of the participants on why we wanted to do a 50-mile or 100-mile race. Then he would followed these same runners along part of the course when race day started till we finished the event. And one of the runners that Jim intends to interview was me, probably because I come from quite a far, far place. :s I was not so keen to do interview, especially before an event. I don't know why. Maybe I just felt kind of pressurised. But since Jim already announced to the whole world present in the auditorium, I decided to walk up to him and identify myself after the brief. I couldn't remember the name of the second guy who talked but I recalled he talked about some book publication. :p After that, Jerry conducted the race brief including some safety aspects and the accessible roads for support crews. There was also a Q&A session where runners could clarify their queries. After the brief, I met Jim and he conducted the interview using mic and cassette. My interview was done in less than 15 minutes and Jim wished me all the best to the event.


After the race brief, most runners stayed around for the pasta dinner held in the hall. I decided to drove to Hot Springs Star - a local weekly newspaper to look for Curt Nettinga, the Editor of the papers. You see, he had interviewed me few weeks earlier for the event via email and I wanted to say hi to thank him. Unfortunately, he was not in office as he was helping out in the pasta dinner preparation as part of the Rotary Club's effort towards community service. I went back to the Hot Springs Chamber Office to catch Curt before the pasta dinner. I talked to Curt and his friends for a while. Both were preparing food outside the Chamber Office. [Curt and some members of the Rotary Club were cooking and dishing out plates and plates of beef patties, sausages, salads, etc. They also had beers, cakes and chips.] Then I went inside the hall, eagerly awaiting the dinner to start after eating cup noodles which I brought over from home for the entire week. Once dinner commenced, I quickly joined in the queue and enjoyed stuffing myself with almost all types food (less beer and chips) that was being served. I also talked to a few runners during dinner. Like Bobby and Dennis from Albuquerque, NM. After dinner, we drove next door to Dairy Queen where we had free ice-cream. We then wished each other a good night rest after we finishing eating and chatting. When I reached the motel, I packed up everything for quick checking-out the next day. This was because since I would be running through Saturday night and Sunday early morning, I wouldn't require to book for a room on Saturday night. Then I went to sleep though it was still early.



No comments: