Thursday, August 14, 2008

1 More Week To Pikes Peak Marathon...

I took stock of what I did with one week to go, after 4 weeks of really intensive "hill" training on a treadmill. Not ideal preparation at all but when you were living in Singapore, there isn't any hills that had that kind of steep incline which you could run for hours. Thus, these 4 weeks of training were really hard. I didn't enjoy one single bit of it. Even when I was walking. In fact, walking at a speed of 5km/hr at an incline of 14.0% for 10 minutes would still have me dripping sweat all over the treadmill! By the 4th week, I was still running at 7km/hr, but with the incline starting at 8.5% grade. After 20 minutes, I would increase the speed to 7.5km/hr. And after another 20 minutes, either increasing the speed to 8km/hr or increasing the incline to 9.0%. This made up of my 1 hour hill training, 4 times a week. If I was on a good form, I would even increase either the speed by 0.5km/hr or the incline by 0.5% grade in the last 5 minutes of the workout. I guess I had no choice if I don't want to suffer at Pikes Peak. Besides, since living at sea-level was something I cannot avoid, I better endured and suffered now than failed subsequently.

For my 5th week, i.e. 1 week before Pikes Peak, I decided to ease off my training. Did only 2 hill sessions on the treadmill. Not sure how would I fare for the event. Now that it was almost here, I could only pray and hope for the best. Wish me luck!!!

No comments: