Saturday, July 26, 2008

Pikes Peak Training Plan

I sat down on the weekend after coming back from Leadville to do my training plan for Pikes Peak Marathon. This was after I finished reading the chapter "Training Tips" contained in the "American's Ultimate Challenge - Pikes Peak Marathon" book by Harald Fricker and also the Training section of the event's website. My plan was simple: start running on the treadmill at an incline of 8.0% and slowly build up to an incline of 12.0%. On top of running, I would also do my walking at an incline of 14.0% and build up to an incline of 15.0%, which was also the maximum incline for threadmill in the California Fitness Gym.


But my plan was simple. Following the plan and doing it was the hard part. For the first 2 weeks, I managed to scrape through running at 8.0% incline with a slow speed of 7.0km/hr. Yes, I just had to run that slow! I did not increase the incline as planned as I found that I need more time to adapt running at that kind of steep incline (although it didn't look steep at all when you were standing on level ground!). Also, instead of walking at 14.0% incline for 2 hours, I managed only 1 hour which I did over both the weekends. Not a very good sign and it seemed that I was running out of time with just 3 weeks to go. :(

No comments: