Sunday, January 4, 2015

Craze Ultra 100 Miles - A Bridge Too Far?

Here I was again, on the evening of 19 Sep at MacRitchie Reservoir, to collect my race bib for Craze Ultra which would happen the next day.  It would be my 3rd attempt at that distance and hopefully I would be third time lucky.  But most time in ultramarathon races, the distance to cover was so long that any miscalculation or unfortunate turn of events, would result in a DNF.  I knew what I had to do: drop off my fuel, hydration and gear requirement at MR where the race organiser would assist us to drop them off at the various drop bag locations, eat a nice dinner and sleep early.  Easy plan which I executed to perfection.

The Various Nuts Level - Depending On Which Distances You Signed Up!

The Various Drop Bag Locations Provided By The Race Organiser!

The Four Musketeers of Running Guild!

When I woke up in the morning, I was feeling not so good.  A trip to the toilet confirmed my worst fear - the dreaded first day of period.  I had previously done a 24-hour run back in 2007 (running the 12-hour MR25 Ultramarathon before running to Bedok Reservoir and clocked till the next day 7am for a total of 24-hour run) so I should be able to deal with it.  But while rushing to get ready to leave home, I had only taken 2 additional pads for changing.  Kind of ridiculous if you were to ask me now why did I do so.  I swung by Elise's place to pick her up.  Elise had agreed to pace me for the fist 12km to CP1 and so would start off from MR with me.  When we reached MR, I saw many other familiar faces, including Karin, a runner from Shen Zhen whom I first met in last year's aborted Taroko Marathon.  At 7:00am, Ben flagged off runners from the 1st wave promptly and at 7:03am, I embarked on the Craze Ultra 100 Miles journey for the 3rd time under the 2nd wave start.

 Karin and Me!

It was easy when you have someone to run with.  At least for me, having someone to chat with to take away the boredom of running solo in Singapore.  I just listened to what Elisa talked about, and occasionally replying to her.  I also confided in her about my mensus problem and that I might need her to meet me somewhere later in the night.  She was really supportive and the time really flew past fast.  I reached the CP1 along Mandai Road at around the same time I did last year - 1hr 43mins thereabout.  I thanked Elise, grabbed what I needed and continued my run.  There were some slight changes towards CP2 at Woodlands and I thought the distance was longer.  Nothing could be done as the diverted pavement was the shortest path across the highway.  It was still early in the race and I was feeling not too bad.  However, the weather was getting hot and my speed slowed.  It was getting uncomfortable but nothing I couldn't handle at that moment.  In an ultra, sometimes you just had to deal with the problem as you moved along.  Before I even reached CP2, I already met a runner doing the 43km, on his way back.  That was kind of demoralising.  But all the sadness and worries were gone as soon as I reached CP2 after 3hrs 39mins, when I saw the enthusiastic volunteers and fellow runners at the check-point.  I did a quick refuel as I knew I was off my target pace.

Elise and me at CP1 Along Mandai Road!

Was Always Happy to Say Hi to Volunteers and Fellow Runners!

Halfway on my way to CP3, I felt bloated and nausea.  Then, at one of the traffic light crossing, I vomited what I had eaten earlier at CP2.  There was a group of runners who were crossing the traffic lights at the same time and the group of guys stopped and helped me.  One of them offered a sweet and another some water.  I thanked them and told them I was okie.  Deep down, I knew I had probably drunk too much sports drink while eating the gel.  This, together with my period cramps had upset my stomach even further.  I quickly drank up some plain water and looked out for any convenient store nearby to get some Red Bull, which would give me instant energy boost.  I was in luck as we ran past some MRT stations.  I bought 2 Red Bull and kept one for emergency, just in case I bonked again.  After drinking up, I felt like a red bull ready to charge ahead. :)  I reached CP3 feeling better than earlier.  This year's CP3 was a little further (about 300m) up, which I managed to reach after 5hrs 29mins of running.  This was more than 1 hour as compared to last year.

Knowing how slow I was really affected me.  But I was not done yet.  I met 2 young men power-walking and decided to keep pace with them.  One of them asked if I was still working in the same office!  Turn out that he was an ex-PTI, doing his first ultramarathon with his friend.  I was really grateful for their presence and I managed keep pace with them and reached CP4 in approximately 1hr 30mins, after 6hrs 58mins of running, which means while I didn't make up lost time, I didn't slow down further.  From there to CP 5/6 was a very long march as there was little scenery until you entered the Punggol Promenade.  By then, the weather was quite hot but still bearable as I was wearing the X-Bionic Fenac running gear.  I eventually reached the CP but was way off my target.  Charlotte, who was volunteering there, handed me something I needed - thanked to a resourceful Elise!  I quickly changed up before going for the 15km loop.  I was hungry but the food on offer didn't satisfy my taste bud.  Luckily, an old friend Jennifer was around on a bike and managed to get me some meshed potatoes.

When I reached back CP 5/6, it was getting dark (approximately at 19:02 after 12hrs 2mins of running).  I didn't dare waste too much time there as I was too slow (even if I had made up my mind I would probably stop at the 50-mile mark).  I jogged and walked to CP7 at Pasir Ris and by then, saw quite a few 100-miler runners on their way back to CP5/6.  At CP7, I stopped to refuel a little before embarking on the next segment of the race, 10km to the u-turn.  I was tired and sleepy, and no mood to jog, let alone run.  Along Loyang, I had forgotten if I were to keep going straight or turn left towards the camp site.  I text the race organiser.  But by the time I received the message to go straight, I was more than halfway through the wrong way!  Even then, I saw a fellow runner on his way back the same (wrong) way back to CP7.  He assured me I was on the right way.  Just after the Changi Village, I noticed the sky was turning greyish and managed to quicken my pace.  I eventually reached the 50-mile u-turn point at 23:05pm after 16hrs 5mins on the road.

Left: At CP3.  Top Right: At CP4 with 2 Young Men Doing Their 1st Ultra! Bottom Right: Thunder Storm at CP8 U-Turn Point!

As soon as I made my decision to stop at the u-turn point, the rain bombed down the area (and lasted for almost an hour), as though disagreeing to my decision to stop for good!  But I knew I could never have gone ahead in that kind of weather.  Even if I had, I would be feeling horrible - for the ladies, you would know why.  While I took no delight in giving an easy excuse to chicken out of a race, it was still a good race as I took it as a training session for the bigger scheme of things.  I had vowed that I would only try running a race for a maximum of three tries.  If I still failed by the 3rd time, I might be better off doing another race.  Craze Ultra was really not a difficult race but it was the convenient of stopping, knowing that your home would be just a stop away that made it difficult, as compared to other races, especially those overseas races where you had little local knowledge.  Would I try again in 2015?  Perhaps.  Maybe.  Or maybe not.  I still got time to really thing about it.  Meanwhile, I need to prepare for the next race!  :p

Trapped with the Friendly Volunteers @ CP8 after the Rain Bombed Down!

No comments: