Saturday, June 25, 2011

Eve of Sundown 100km

I am supposed to be sleeping now.  It is 1.00am and in less than 18 hours, I will be lining up at the Marina area for my 3rd 100km race this year but my first 100km road road.  Unfortunately, I am also reading the UK's Trail Running Magazine which I bought while on a holiday in UK last month.  I found it by accident while at the Manchester International Airport, heading to Durban.  It was a great magazine and the information contained very useful to aspiring trail runners.  My top 3 articles are: (1) Epic Trail - Don't just run in the hills, eat, sleep and breath the hills in your biggest running adventure ever, (2) Give Me Strength - 7 core exercises to toughen your body for trail running, (3) World's toughest ultra -the Tor Des Geants.

Summer Edition 2011 Trail Running - the UK's No. 1 Off-Road Running Mag

Just finished packing my bag to be dumped at the gym later.  It contained my change of clothes after I complete my Sundown 100km.  As for my drop bag, I'll pack it later in the afternoon.  I'm alsol thinking if I should bring my compact camera.  But most likely, I will.  Although this isn't a scenic route, it is always nice to take photos, especially at the check-points where volunteers will play an important role.  After the race, you will be able to look back at the photos.  While some may view completion of the 100km as the ultimate goal (or the finishing medal or finishing tee), the journey to that completion is more important to me.  I hope my journey tonight (and tomorrow morning) will be a memorable one.  :)

Time now: 9.30am.  I read through the Sundown Ultramarathon website again on the hydration and fuel support at all pitstops (aid stations), the cut-off times at various check-points, and the reporting time.  I was particularly impressed by the spread of food that will be made available to the runners along the course, although I was hoping the pitstops are 5km apart instead of 10km apart. As for cut-off time, there were 3 in total: 50km by 9 hours, 90km by 16 hours and 100km by 18 hours.  And since the reporting time is 4pm, I could nap for another 3 hours.  :)

Hydration and Food at the various Aid Stations (Pitstops)

It is always good to read through some of the more important info just before a race.  To reassure yourself that everything is in order and you are good to go.  My program for the day will be:

- Pack my drop bag and get ready my race gear.
- Brunch at 11am, Bedok Point.
- Sleep at 12.30pm till 3.30pm.
- Leave for Marina at 4.30pm latest.

Sounds good right?  :)  Okie, time to go pack my stuff!

No comments: